A sailor has died after being swept overboard during an international yacht race.
Simon Speirs, 60, from Bristol, was taking part in the Clipper Round the World Race leg from South Africa to Australia.
Organisers said the retired solicitor, who was wearing a life jacket, was washed over the side during gale force winds on Saturday.
Mr Speirs, described as an experienced sailor, has been buried at sea.
According to a statement from Clipper, Mr Speirs was sailing for Great Britain on board the CV30, which was in sixth place and had reached the Indian Ocean.
Race organisers said Mr Speirs was on the foredeck of the 70ft yacht helping to change a sail when he "became separated from the yacht in the Southern Ocean.
in a rough sea state".
Mr Speirs was pulled back on board, but never regained consciousness.
He is believed to have drowned.
Clipper organisers said: "We are extremely saddened today to report the fatality of Simon Speirs.
"Simon`s next of kin have been informed and our deepest thoughts are with his family and all those who knew him.
" The rest of the crew are believed to be safe and heading for Freemantle in Australia.
Clipper said an investigation would be carried out.
The 12 racing yachts set off from Liverpool in August.
The star of Girls, Lena Dunham, has apologised for supporting a writer on the US TV series who has been accused of sexual assault.
Los Angeles police are investigating the accusation made against Murray Miller by actress Aurora Perrineau.
Ms Dunham initially said she was "confident" the accusation had been "misreported" but later said it was the wrong time to make such a statement.
Mr Miller has categorically denied Ms Perrineau`s claims, his lawyers say.
On Twitter on Saturday evening, Ms Dunham said she had "naively believed it was important to share my perspective", but now accepted it was "absolutely the wrong time to come forward with such a statement".
She added: "Every woman who comes forward deserves to be heard, fully and completely.
" Ms Perrineau told The Wrap that she had filed a report with the Los Angeles County Sheriff`s Department on Friday, accusing Mr Miller of sexual assault in 2012 when she was 17.
The Hollywood Reporter quoted a department official as confirming that the report had been made and that Los Angeles police would conduct the investigation.
Ms Perrineau said that after a night socialising with Mr Miller and other people, she woke to find him on top of her.
"He was on top of me having sexual intercourse with me.
At no time did I consent to any sexual contact with Murray," she said in a statement.
Mr Miller`s lawyer, Don Walerstein, said in a statement: "Mr Miller categorically and vehemently denies Ms Perrineau`s outrageous claims.
After being contacted several weeks ago by lawyers who - on Ms Perrineau`s behalf - sought substantial monetary damages from him, Mr Miller`s legal team gathered overwhelming evidence directly contradicting these false and offensive claims.
" However, Ms Perrineau`s mother, Britney, denied Mr Miller had ever been asked for monetary damages, Vanity Fair reported.
After the accusation against Mr Miller was made public, Lena Dunham and another Girls producer, Jenni Konner, told Variety that they "stood by" Mr Miller.
They said: "Our insider knowledge of Murray`s situation makes us confident that sadly this accusation is one of the 3% of assault cases that are misreported every year.
" The online backlash was swift.
One comment on Ms Dunham`s Instagram said: "I hope you reconsider calling yourself a feminist, what a joke.
" Others found and quoted a contradictory tweet Ms Dunham posted earlier this year, in which she said women do not lie about rape.
Later on the same day, Ms Dunham published a statement on her Twitter account, apologising and saying: "Every woman who comes forward deserves to be heard, fully and completely, and our relationship to the accused should not be part of the calculation anyone makes when examining her case.
" Some pointed out that it was not the first time she has had to apologise for a statement.
The first statement Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner "During the windfall of deeply necessary accusations over the last few months in Hollywood, we have been thrilled to see so many women`s voices heard and dark experiences in this industry justified.
"It`s a hugely important time of change and, like every feminist in Hollywood and beyond, we celebrate.
"But during every time of change there are also incidences of the culture, in its enthusiasm and zeal, taking down the wrong targets.
We believe, having worked closely with him for more than half a decade, that this is the case with Murray Miller.
"While our first instinct is to listen to every woman`s story, our insider knowledge of Murray`s situation makes us confident that sadly this accusation is one of the 3% of assault cases that are misreported every year.
It is a true shame to add to that number, as outside of Hollywood women still struggle to be believed.
"We stand by Murray and this is all we`ll be saying about this issue.
" The second statement, tweeted hours later Lena Dunham "As feminists, we live and die by our politics, and believing women is the first choice we make every single day when we wake up.
"Therefore I never thought I would issue a statement publically supporting someone accused of sexual assault, but I naively believed it was important to share my perspective on my friend`s situation as it has transpired behind the scenes over the last few months.
"I now understand that it was absolutely the wrong time to come forward with such a statement and I am so sorry.
We have been given the gift of powerful voices and by speaking out we were putting out thumb on the scale and it was wrong.
We regret this decision with every fiber of our being.
"Every woman who comes forward deserves to be heard, fully and completely, and our relationship to the accused should not be part of the calculation anyone makes when examining her case.
"Every person and every feminist should be required to hear her.
Under patriarchy, `I believe you` is essential.
Until we are all believed, none of us will be believed.
"We apologize to any women who have been disappointed.
Sinn Fein`s Gerry Adams, a pivotal figure in the political life of Ireland for almost 50 years, said on Saturday he will step down as party leader and complete a generational shift in the former political wing of the Irish Republican Army (IRA).
Reviled by many as the face of the IRA during its campaign against British rule in Northern Ireland, Adams reinvented himself as a peacemaker in the troubled region and then as a populist opposition parliamentarian in the Irish Republic.
Adams said he would be replaced as party president, a position he has held since 1983, at a party conference next year.
He would also not stand for reelection to the Irish parliament.
"Republicanism has never been stronger.
But leadership means knowing when it is time for change.
That time is now," Adams said in an emotional speech to a packed party conference.
"I have complete confidence in the next generation of leaders," he said.
Adams stayed on stage as the 2,500-strong crowd, some in tears, gave him a standing ovation and sang a traditional Irish song about the road home, followed by the national anthem.
Adams will almost certainly hand over to a successor with no direct involvement in the decades of conflict in Northern Ireland, a prospect that would make Sinn Fein a more palatable coalition partner in the Irish Republic where it has never been in power.
Deputy leader Mary Lou McDonald, an English literature graduate from Trinity College Dublin who has been at the forefront of a new breed of Sinn Fein politicians transforming the party`s image, is the clear favourite to take over.
That would mean the left-wing party being led on both sides of the Irish border by women in their 40s after Michelle O`Neill succeeded Martin McGuinness as leader in Northern Ireland shortly before the former IRA commander`s death in March.
Argentina`s Navy detected seven brief satellite calls Saturday that officials believe may have come from a submarine with 44 crew members that hadn`t been heard from in three days.
The communication attempts "indicate that the crew is trying to re-establish contact, so we are working to locate the source of the emissions," the Navy said on its Twitter account, adding that the calls lasted between four and 36 seconds.
Argentine authorities clarified that it has not been confirmed the calls came from the submarine, the ARA San Juan, though that is the working hypothesis.
Earlier Saturday, Navy spokesman Enrique Balbi said the area being searched off the country`s southern Atlantic coast has been doubled as concerns about the fate of the submarine and its crew grew.
"We are not discounting any hypothesis," Balbi said, adding that possibilities to explain the submarine`s disappearance include "a problem with communications" or with its power system.
Authorities last had contact with the German-built, diesel-electric sub on Wednesday as it was on a voyage from the extreme southern port of Ushuaia to Mar del Plata.
Argentine President Mauricio Macri said in a tweet that the country will use "all resources national and international that are necessary to find the submarine.
" Pledges of help came from Chile, Uruguay, Peru and Brazil, as well as the United States, which sent a NASA scientific aircraft and a Navy plane.
Britain was sending a polar exploration vessel, the HMS Protector, which British officials said should arrive Sunday.
Navy ordered its Undersea Rescue Command based in San Diego, California to deploy to Argentina to support the search for the submarine.
The command includes a remotely operated vehicle and vessels capable of rescuing people from bottomed submarines.
Admiral Gabriel Gonzalez, chief of the Mar del Plata Naval Base, said they are coordinating "with units from the United Kingdom and the United States.
" Britain and Argentina fought a war in 1982 over the Falklands Islands, which are called the Malvinas in Argentina.
Relatives of the crew members gathered at the Mar del Plata Naval Base in the hopes of hearing news about their loved ones.
"We feel anguish.
We are reserved but will not lose our hope that they will return," Marcela Moyano, wife of machinist Hernan Rodriguez, told television network TN.
She said she spoke with her husband when the submarine departed and is still sending him WhatsApp messages, though he has not responded.
From the Vatican, Argentine Pope Francis said he was making "fervent prayers" for the crew.
A fire in a housing block in a southern district of the Chinese capital, Beijing, has killed 19 people and injured eight others, reports say.
It took firefighters several hours to bring the overnight blaze under control.
The cause is not yet known.
However, Beijing police say they have detained a number of suspects.
The blaze broke out in Daxing district, an area mostly inhabited by migrant workers from the inner provinces who often require cheaper accommodation.
The area where the fire began also hosts several small clothing factories.
It took more than 30 fire engines containing 14 firefighting teams more than three hours to extinguish the fire.
Some of those trapped inside the building are now being treated in hospital, the fire department said.
The fire comes amid rising tension in Beijing over a beautification campaign implemented by the authorities in the city centre intended to close unsightly market stalls.
Rights campaigners say the drive has included the forced removal of migrant workers further from the city centre.
Deadly fires are routine in China, where safety regulations are often flouted and enforcement rules regularly ignored.
President Robert Mugabe`s closest allies in the party he founded are calling on him to step down, as pressure on him intensifies following a military intervention and protests.
Senior party officials have started arriving for a meeting of Zanu-PF in which they will discuss whether to dismiss Zimbabwe`s long-term leader.
The party`s Youth League, previously loyal to him, has turned against him.
And military leaders are set to meet Mr Mugabe later on Sunday.
Mediation will be led by a Catholic priest, state TV said.
In a statement the Zanu-PF Youth League condemned Mr Mugabe`s allies for "looting and plundering" and his wife Grace for "vulgar, cunning and unruly behaviour", and called on him to stand down and to "rest as an elder statesman".
Nine of 10 Zanu-PF party chapters say Mr Mugabe should step down and their decision is likely to be endorsed at Sunday`s meeting of the party`s top body, the central committee.
The head of the influential War Veterans Association, Chris Mutsvangwa, predicted to Reuters before the meeting that Mr Mugabe would be removed from the party leadership, and his wife would lose her position as head of its women`s league.
He then threatened to "bring back the crowds and they will do their business" if Mr Mugabe did not step down.
Mr Mugabe has largely been confined to his house since the army took over on Wednesday.
The army took control of the country after Mr Mugabe, 93, fired his deputy Emmerson Mnangagwa.
Mr Mnangagwa`s dismissal made Mr Mugabe`s wife Grace front runner to become next president.
He is likely to be reinstated as vice-president when Zanu-PF convene.
Mr Mugabe has led Zimbabwe since independence from Britain in 1980.
Tens of thousands of Zimbabweans, including people from the ruling party and the opposition, took to the streets on Saturday to celebrate the army`s takeover and to urge Mr Mugabe to quit.
They tore up pictures of the president and marched to his office and residence.
The BBC`s Andrew Harding in Harare said it was a watershed moment and there could be no return to power for Mr Mugabe.
He may face impeachment in parliament next week if he refuses to step down.
Our correspondent says the situation appears to be getting out of Zanu-PF`s control and there could be a broad push to introduce a transitional government that includes the opposition.
Negotiating Mugabe`s exit Analysis by Anne Soy, BBC News, Harare It is understood that President Mugabe has so far insisted that he cannot step down and so legitimise a coup.
The military maintains this is not a coup and there is international pressure to use constitutional means to resolve the political crisis.
Negotiators are poring through Zimbabwe`s laws to find a legal way out.
Saturday`s call for civilians to take to the streets looks choreographed to lend some legitimacy to the transition process being discussed.
President Mugabe`s support base has continued to crumble.
Independence war veterans, who fought alongside him against colonial rule, have also called on their former leader to leave.
But the biggest blow yet to Mr Mugabe could be delivered by the central committee of his ruling Zanu-PF on Sunday.
Their meeting could see Robert Mugabe dismissed as party leader.
How did we get here? Soldiers seized the headquarters of Zimbabwe`s national broadcaster ZBC on Wednesday.
An army official, Maj Gen Sibusiso Moyo, then read out a statement on national television, assuring the nation that President Mugabe and his family were safe.
The military was only targeting what he called "criminals" around the president, he said, denying that there had been a coup.
On Friday, Mr Mugabe made his first public appearance since being put under house arrest, speaking at a university.
Grace Mugabe was not present.
It had been thought she had left the country but it emerged on Thursday that she was at home with Mr Mugabe.
Former The Partridge Family star and singer David Cassidy, 67, is ill in hospital but is reported to be conscious, after suffering multiple organ failure earlier this week.
A spokeswoman said he was admitted to hospital in Fort Lauderdale on Wednesday after suffering pain.
He is reportedly suffering kidney failure and needs a liver transplant.
Earlier this year the singer said he had dementia and would stop touring in order to "enjoy life".
A spokeswoman for Cassidy told the Press Association that he was conscious, following reports he had been put into a coma.
She said he was surrounded by family.
The singer`s health has been deteriorating for more than two months, entertainment website TMZ reported.
Cassidy shot to fame playing Keith Partridge in The Partridge Family - a 1970s sitcom about a mother and five children who formed a rock and roll band.
The show spawned hit songs, such as I Think I Love You.
The former heartthrob went on to a hugely successful solo career as a singer and pop idol.
In recent years he has spoken about his struggles with alcohol.
In 2015 he filed for bankruptcy.
Between 2010 and 2014, he was arrested three times for drunken driving, and was ordered to rehab as part of his sentence in 2014.
He has divorced three times.
A video that emerged on social media of him performing earlier this year raised concerns about his health.